Within a period of 12 months, average cost of moving from one location to another in the country has increased by 52.44%, latest data by the National Bureau of Statistics have shown.
In its Transport Fare Watch for April 2022, the it was discovered that the average fare paid by air passengers for specified routes on single journey, increased by 18.57% on a month-on-month basis from N46,810.62 in March 2022 to N55,501.49 in April 2022. Whereas, on a year-on-year basis, this rose by 52.44% from N36,409.46 in April 2021
The report covers various transport categories such as bus journey within the city per drop constant route; bus journey intercity, state route, charge per person; airfare charge for specified routes single journey; journey by motorcycle (Okada) per drop; and waterway passenger transport.
- The average fare paid by commuters for bus journey intercity per drop rose by 8.75% from N3,270.94 in March 2022 to N3,557.15 in April 2022. However, it rose by 45.38% on a year-on-year basis from N2,446.86 in April 2021.
- Similarly, the average fare paid by commuters for bus journey within the city per drop, increased by 6.39% on a month-on-month basis from N536.35 in March 2022 to N570.64 in April 2022. On a year-on-year basis, this rose by 47.80% from N386.10 in April 2021.
Motorcycle and Waterway
- In another category, the average fare paid by commuters for journey by motorcycle per drop increased by 8.03% on a month-on-month basis from N395.12 in March 2022 to N426.84 in April 2022. On a year-on-year basis, the fare rose by 54.48% from N276.30 in April 2021.
- In addition, the average fare paid for water transport (waterway passenger transportation) increased by 5.67% on a month-on-month basis from N900.84 in March 2022 to N951.93 in April 2022. On a year-on-year basis, this rose by 16.06% from N820.23 in April 2021.
- On state profile analysis, Taraba state recorded the highest air transport charges (for specified routes single journey) in April 2022 with N65,000.00, followed by Kogi with N64,258.91, while Kano recorded the least with N50,000.00.
- For intercity bus travel (state route charged per person fare) in April 2022, the highest fare was recorded in Abuja with N5,250.00, followed by Adamawa with N5,166.67, while Bayelsa recorded the least with N2,233.33.
Journey within City
- In terms of bus journey within the city (per drop constant route), Zamfara recorded the highest with N822.00, followed by Taraba with N733.33, while Anambra recorded the least with N432.14.
- Yobe had the highest motorcycle transport fare under the reference period with N661.83, followed by Lagos with N656.25, while Ogun recorded the least with N211.76. Also, water transport fare was highest in Delta with N3,128.57, followed by Rivers with N3,040.00, while the least was in Borno with N315.39.
- Analysis by zone showed that North-Central recorded the highest fare of air transport in April 2022 with N57,552.54, followed by North-East with N56,800.16, while South-East had the least with N53,402.58.
- In terms of bus journey intercity, South-West had the highest fare with N3,830.14, followed by North-Central with N3,708.13, while South-South recorded the least with N3,252.37.
- In April 2022, transport fare of bus journey within the city was highest in North-East with N622.06, followed by North-West with N604.59, while South-East recorded the least with N530.26.
- Also, commuters on motorcycle (Okada) paid the highest fare in South-South with N506.62, followed by North-Central with N461.91, while NorthWest recorded the least with N311.74.
- The South-South had the highest charges paid on water transport with N2,250.02, followed by South-West with N829.24, while North-East recorded the least fare with N595.28.