No fewer than five million Nigerians have applied as candidates to participate in Batch C of N-Power project of the federal government.
The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development disclosed in a press statement on Tuesday evening that between June 26 and August 9 when the application took place, a total of 5,042,001 applicants were recorded.
The press statement was signed by Halima Oyelade, a Special Assitant on Strategic Communication.
The Ministry said that the application date was meant to close on the 26th of July, but was extended by two weeks to enable those who were unable to apply to do so.
“The Honorable Minister further added that the N-Power program is aimed to provide the Nigerian youths with opportunities to gain skills for employability and entrepreneurship which will also go a long way in assisting the country towards the post-Covid 19 economic recovery,” Oyelade said.
She added that the Ministry would comply with the administration’s promise of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in ten years and the N-Power scheme would be one of the means to do so as women and persons with disabilities would be prioritized in the selection.
Recall that in June, the Federal Government announced the reopening of the application portal of the social investment scheme for fresh registration of the June 2020 Batch C intakes.
The Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq, had earlier assured Nigerians in the statement that transparency and due diligence would be applied during the selection process to ensure that the qualified applicants are selected.